Thursday, October 9th is World Sight Day, a day of awareness created to help focus global attention on blindness, visual impairment and rehabilitation of those with visual impairments.
- Approximately 285 million people worldwide live with low vision.
- Of these, 39 million people are blind and 246 million have moderate or severe visual impairment.
- 90% of blind individuals live in low-income countries, yet 80% of visual impairments are avoidable with treatment and prevention.
- 80% of blind individuals are over the age of 50.
- Women and girls make up over two thirds of the blind population worldwide.